October, 5, 2010

Tax Your Talent

One day I was preparing to give a tour here at Education in Zion knowing that the visiting faculty group requested to remain in the north wing of the gallery for the tour, so I wandered around that specific wing hoping to refresh my memory.   As I searched for new educational treasures of truth to share with the faculty group, I decided to watch all of the gallery films and see if one would be appropriate.

Hoping for a breakthrough for the theme of my tour, I sauntered over to the section called “Each of Us On the Charted Course” where in a glass display case it talks of the importance of properly preparing and educating religion teachers at BYU. I quickly glanced at the television and realized I had never seen the film that played in that room.

Upon watching the film I received words of encouragement from Apostles and Prophets, and personal revelation that helped me with something within my life I had been struggling with. Graduation is around the corner and prestigious schools back East have intimidated me, so I have been reluctant to apply. The words of President Thomas S. Monson in that film really put my heart at ease:“Tax your talent and Heavenly Father will make you equal to those decisions.”

I realized that if I correlate my plans for postgraduate work and the rest of my life with the Lord’s plans, He would assist me in fulfilling the life he has in store for me.

In Matthew 11, verses 29 and 30 it states, “Take my yoke upon you and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

- Brittany Dahlin, Art History Major, Italian Minor, and Education in Zion Gallery Educator