November, 8, 2010

Knowledge Through Perseverance

The middle of the semester is especially difficult. All those due dates for assignments that you thought were so far away are now in your face; those few lectures that you missed ended up being really important; and the five pages of reading that you postponed has now multiplied into 500 pages. It’s at this moment that you wonder, Why am I doing this? What will I gain?

We all have struggles. We all have moments where everything seems too hard and that we can’t get it all done. Even great men experience this. Brigham Young University was founded by someone who was going through these same feelings.  Brigham Young asked Karl G. Maeser to design BYU’s school system to include the Spirit in every class. The day before Maeser was to present his ideas to Brigham Young he still hadn’t thought of anything. Exhausted and disheartened, he fell to his knees. “O Father,” he pleaded, “show me the way[;] help me to make the plans for this great work. I cannot do it of myself.” Immediately the plan for the school came to his mind.

So why are we doing this? What will we gain by staying up to midnight for the third night in a row to complete a plethora of homework assignments? We gain the blessings. The intelligence we attain in this life will rise with us in the resurrection, and the more knowledge we have, the greater our advantage in the world to come (D&C 130:18-19).

Like Maeser, we will struggle. We will have restless nights where we ponder what we need to do. But when all is said and done, the knowledge that we gain will help us become more like our Heavenly Father – bringing us closer to our divine potential.

—Anna Silver, Theater Education Major and Education in Zion Gallery Educator