February, 16, 2011

Circle of Honor

“I have been asked what I mean by ‘word of honor.’ I will tell you. Place me behind prison walls–walls of stone ever so high, ever so thick, reaching ever so far into the ground–there is a possibility that in some way or another I may escape; but stand me on the floor and draw a chalk line around me and have me give my word of honor never to cross it. Can I get out of the circle? No. Never! I’d die first!”

Karl G. Maeser knew what it meant to stand by your honor.  Do you?

As BYU students, we have given our word that we’ll stay in the circle of honor.  And, to the world’s surprise, we actually do live by its principles…for the most part.  Yes, we’ve been named the world’s most stone-cold sober university campus and we don’t have co-ed student residencies.  We have very little violence and we know that if we accidentally misplace a wallet, it’ll most likely be in the lost-and-found with all the cash in it by the next day.

But, in light of honor week, let’s think of ways that we can hold even tighter to the standards we’ve agreed to, or “stand a little taller” as Gordon B. Hinckley once said.

Let’s have the courage to bid the young men farewell when midnight rolls around.  Let’s have the humility to say goodbye to our sideburns.  Let’s have the will to resist cheating on that Organic Chemistry Test.  Let’s toss that miniskirt.

Now is the time to pay our respects to Karl G. Maeser and to the One who has brought us to this wonderful university and recommit ourselves to stay within our circle of honor!

– Karen McKay, BFA Major, Education in Zion Gallery Educator