The Education in Zion Blog

Divine Signature

Reflection

Recently, an old friend of mine gave me a book by an emeritus general authority named Gerald N. Lund. He is the author of one of my favorite books, The Alliance, which is a science fiction allegory to agency and its vital role in our lives. This book my friend gave me is a little different from The Alliance. It’s called Divine Signatures.

In it, Lund describes divine signatures as follows, “Sometimes, the Lord sends His blessings in such a highly unusual, dramatic, or precisely timed manner, that it might be likened to a ‘divine signature.’ It is as though the Lord ‘signs’ the blessing personally so that we will know with certainty that it comes from Him” (p.20).

As I’m reading Divine Signatures, I’ve been reflecting on moments in my life where divine signatures have been influential in my testimony and the growth of my personal relationship with God. There are many small ones and a few rather large ones. And I feel that we could all benefit from reflecting on these signatures in our lives.

Working at the Education in Zion Gallery in many ways has been a divine signature for me. I needed a job, but it took a whole semester for me to find one after many interviews and conflicts with my schedule. Then God, when I had learned better how to manage the demands of my major, gave me the blessing of working at the gallery. I won’t preach too much, but I feel that working here has helped me recapture the vision of why I even came to BYU. It was perfectly timed and has been a blessing in numerous areas of my life.

God knows us personally and gives us His signatures so we can see His hand in our lives.

–Dan Shirley, Industrial Design Major, Education in Zion Gallery Educator

This Reflection post was written on October 4, 2011

Return to EIZ Blog