The Education in Zion Blog

Courtesy of Education in Zion

Walking one evening, I was amazed by the quietness of the campus enshrouded by the night. Usually I can always spot a few people heading to their destinations. In the summer, however, it is not unusual to not see a single soul on campus after dark.

Even though the campus may be under such a deep sleep, the Education in Zion Gallery is still illuminated as if standing in a spotlight. Mesmerized, I paused to gaze up at the large, curved window panels. The transparency of the windows allowed the gallery to glow among the buildings. Everything inside could be clearly seen, including the signature murals that hang on opposite walls–they were glistering ever so brightly.

It was at that moment that I remembered the scripture prompting us to “let [our] light so shine before men, that they may see [our] good works, and glorify [our] father which is in heaven” (Matt. 5:16).  I realized that we as human beings are much like the illuminated gallery. As followers of Christ, we stand out. The world shoves us into the spotlight, scrutinizing everything from our church’s history to individual conduct (or misconduct) because of the cultural climate.

Although I understand that I will inevitably fall short because that is the role of the natural man, through the Atonement of Jesus Christ I can shine forth and illuminate the world with my example. I don’t believe that my being an example means I must maintain a perfect record. It simply testifies that I am willing to mend my ways to become better.

Lucy Lu, Gallery Educator

This Reflection post was written on August 20, 2012

Return to EIZ Blog