October, 21, 2013

Questions

Questions are an essential part of our lives. In the academic sphere, the scientific method starts with a question. In history class, my research paper must not be based on a topic but on a question.  This principle is true in our lives in many other ways: even when I babysit my nieces and nephews, I notice that they constantly identify problems, ask questions, and seek answers.QuestionMark

Have you ever felt that your questions have gone unanswered? I love the counsel given by President Howard W. Hunter. He taught that true principles are part of one great whole, and that when we encounter apparent conflict in our studies it is because we see only a part of this great whole. He said that this apparent conflict is only a prelude to a new understanding and will yield, in God’s own time, to those who seek wisdom by study and by faith.

Faith is the key to our learning. When we apply faith to our academic, spiritual, and intellectual learning, we ultimately have the fullest understanding.

That is just one of the many reasons I love the Education in Zion Gallery. There are many examples of the founders of BYU and that talk about how faith and questions are an integral part of our pursuit of an education for the whole soul. Ask questions, have faith that the Lord knows all things, and believe and trust in Him.