December, 9, 2013

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Screen Shot 2013-11-25 at 1.30.07 PMWith lights, poinsettias and carols beginning to appear all over campus, it is so thrilling that the Christmas season is here! While I love that this is the most socially acceptable time to spontaneously burst into song, I think the best part is the atmosphere of good will and charity that abides wherever you go. Christmastime unites us in a unique way.

The Christmas season is more than sales and presents, it is a season of service and hope. The season begins with Thanksgiving, a holiday devoted to gratitude. Thanksgiving is the perfect springboard into Christmastime as it directs our thoughts to be happy and to give thanks for all we have.

We had a sign in our home while I was growing up that said, “Christmas is not about the presents, but His presence.” I love that sign because it reminds me that Christmas is not a once-a-year celebration; it is a spirit that can continue into the spring, summer, and fall. It is a mindset of looking outside yourself and finding others to uplift. Christ truly is the “reason for the season,” but not just the winter season. As we keep a Christ-centered life, the “Christmas spirit” can always stay with us.

One of the things I love about the Education in Zion Gallery is that it teaches us how to keep Christ at the center of our learning and our lives.