March, 10, 2014

Sacrifice Brings Forth Blessings

Maeser building litThis week I gave a tour of the gallery to a friend of mine who goes to massage therapy school and has been working very hard to get an education.  We talked about the sacrifices that some of the early Saints had to make in order to help their children get an education.

I then asked her, “What are some of the sacrifices that you have made in order to get an education?”  Her response was very enlightening.  She had family members telling her to give up because an education just wasn’t for her, that she had spent all of her money on tuition and didn’t even have her own place to live for a while.  However, she felt this sacrifice was worth it in order to get an education.  She feels accomplished knowing that, despite her critics, she was able to stick with a task and accomplish it. All she has left to do now is study and pass her test to complete massage therapy school to get her certificate.

I love asking people what sacrifices they have made for education in their lives.  An education is very important, and I believe it should require some kind of sacrifice from us.  As the hymn “Praise to the Man,” says, “Sacrifice brings forth the blessings of heaven.” When I ask visitors what sacrifices they’ve made for their education, it helps them to see how their sacrifice is worth every bit of it because of the joy they have received and the potential joy they will receive in the future from receiving an education.