November, 25, 2014

Education Increases Vision

sam

While taking a tour with a family last week, a father pointed out a wall in the Pioneer Schools room, “Brigham Young was born into a poor family. . . . He had only eleven days of formal education. Meeting Joseph Smith changed Brigham’s aspirations. As he learned from Joseph about eternal progression, it quickly became a major theme and aim of his life.”

Although Brigham Young was not formally trained or educated, the gospel broadened his perspective of not only his goals, but also the vision he had for himself. This father noted that although sometimes we may not be given all of the resources in this world, we can still improve ourselves.  Our potential is unlimited with the assistance of the Holy Ghost. As we learn with the help of the Spirit, our minds can be prepared and opened for additional knowledge beyond our own capacity to comprehend the material presented.

Not only was Brigham Young ambitious about his learning in this life, but the gospel provided him the perspective that he would continue to progress in the next life. He said, “I shall not cease learning while I live, nor when I arrive in the spirit-world[,]… and when I again receive my body, I shall … still continue my researches.”[1]

As the semester comes to a close, let us remember why we are here. We are here to grow and to use our knowledge to serve those around us in both this life and the next. Although we are not yet perfect, may we be inspired to know that one day this knowledge will help us in our eternal progression.

[1] Quoted in Susa Young Gates, The Life Story of Brigham Young(New York: Macmillan, 1930), 283.

Share on FacebookTweet about this on Twitter