December, 3, 2014

The Fruit

FRUIT

It is easy to see how spiritual instruction is invaluable to us. Without it, we would be unable to understand our purpose in mortality. So why are we also counseled by the prophets and apostles to pursue temporal knowledge? Why is that of concern to them, or more importantly, to the Lord?

I have discovered there are many reasons we are commanded to seek knowledge, but one stands out to me as quintessential.   My discovery came through the words of the Lord as recorded in a scripture in John 15:5: “I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit.”

When I thought about this scripture in terms of education, I finally had a realization about why our temporal educations are so important. As we strive to become one with Christ, we learn to live as he lived.

Christ taught and served others during his ministry on Earth, and he wants us to do the same. The more education we receive, both spiritual and temporal, the more effective we will be as teachers and servants. These are the fruits the Lord spoke of.  If we take advantage of opportunities to learn, our fruits will be sweeter.

Share on FacebookTweet about this on Twitter