November, 12, 2015

Our Greatest Teacher

jesus

By Allyssa Jex

When I give introductory tours in the gallery, I like to ask visitors about the architecture and artifacts in the gallery. I ask, “What stands out? Why?” After observations of the architecture and paintings in the gallery have been mentioned, I lead my tour groups to the center east side of the gallery where, in the middle of the rug on a wooden table, there stands a small statue of Jesus Christ. I then ask this question: “In a gallery where most things are so large and grand, why is this statue of Christ so small? Don’t you think that someone so important, even the most important, should be the largest and most noticeable thing in the gallery?”
This question usually takes a while for people to answer, but I love watching the wheels turn in their mind as they ponder Christ. It is this point in the tour that is the most enlightening to me as a tour guide. I have discovered that even though I have asked the same question so many times, I get so many different answers. This is a natural result of the various backgrounds of our visitors. I also believe that at this point of the tour, when we take time to focus on Christ and ponder who He is and what He has done for us, He teaches us.
It is the same with our education. In John 15:5, Jesus Christ says, “I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit.” As students we are in the midst of papers, labs, exams, talks and Church callings. It is easy to feel lost or behind. But as we make an effort to focus on Christ and make Him the center of our education, He will teach us. Who could be a better teacher?

Share on FacebookTweet about this on Twitter